a car is the most air polluting act an average citizen commits. Air
pollution is not a good idea for a variety of reasons, large and small.
The right ideas for remediation of environmental degradations involve
unselfish and compassionate behavior, a scarce commodity. The right
ideas involve long-term planning, conservation and a deep commitment to
preserving the natural world. Without a healthy natural environment,
there will be few or no healthy humans.
To understand air pollution you can consider a simple scheme that divides a big problem into smaller components.
1. Local effects -e.g. poisoning humans breathing bad air.
2. Regional effects - fallout from airborne pathogens - infections, particles, chemicals.
Global effects - changing interactions between the atmosphere, oceans
and the sun, weather effects, effects on plants and the ocean biosphere.
The deepest problem for humans is that we cannot predict the future with any accuracy. Even
the best informed scientist with the most recent data cannot know what
is going to happen next. When we talk about prudence, we refer to
methods of minimizing risk and preparing to deal with events beyond our
control which can injure or kill us. Recovery from extreme weather
events, earthquakes, natural catastrophes, injury and disease will
consume an increasingly large chunk of our resources. Smart humans
notice adverse changes and take action to minimize adverse consequences.
But not all human are smart or prudent.
Governments can encourage the reduction of vehicular use by:
- Promoting Voluntary abstention
- Increase Public Transit - diversify options and limit access to existing roads.
- Separate commercial and private traffic to increase efficient use of roads
- Stop building car-oriented roads and highways
- Replace 30% of the existing roads designed for cars with park-like corridors
- In cities, build more walking paths, bicycle routes and roads for small electric vehicles
- Reduce commuting - link residence and business activities by rezoning and rebuilding cities.
- Reward car-pools and car-sharing plans
- Redefine road use by defining access privileges - no longer a right
- Road Tolls and increased gasoline and vehicle registration taxes
car license fees on fuel consumption in the previous year. Use
exponential fee rate increase for high fuel consumption individuals.
- Provide generous development grants and tax incentives for all non-polluting transportation alternatives.
Governments can use a combination of
- Voluntary and Reward Schemes
- Compulsory and Penalty Schemes
- Incentives for New Technology and Changes in Industrial Fuel Consumption
not only government have to take care of the environment, bur every
person must understand that we need to protect our planet from
pollution. I offer you to encourage your friends and family to take part in different ecological actions and to help humanity to live in a better world.